Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Tasty Tuesday!!!

It's been awhile since I've done a Tasty Tuesday! But that doesn't mean I haven't been cooking or baking! Today's recipe is a little different than the stuff that I normally do. And I'm not much of a risk taker, but you MUST try this! 

So my little brother, Travis came home from school last week and told me all about how his class made 'Thunder Cake' at school, and they all ate it. And he told all about how amazing it was! I was VERY SURPRISED to hear him say this...especially after I looked at the recipe.


Thunder Cake
Cream Together one at a time: 
1 cup shortening
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs, separated 
(blend yolks in. Beat whites until they are stiff, then fold in. 
1 cup cold water

...and.....(drum roll please)....

1/3 cup PUREED TOMATOES


Sift together: 
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 cup dry cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp salt

Mix dry mixture into creamy mixture.  Bake in two greased and floured 8 1/2 inch pans at 350 degrees for 35-40 mins.  Frost with Chocolate buttercream frosting and top with strawberries. Or if you are like me and you are fresh out of strawberries, you'll just sprinkle chocolate chips on top! :)


Yes, yes yes. I know the recipe calls for tomatoes!! And you all know how much I hate tomatoes!!! I have heard of recipes that call for a can of tomato soup....It's supposed to help the consistency/texture of the batter, and also it helps make the cake not as rich and not too sweet. And yes, it was actually delicious! And you better believe it, because my little brother says so! I actually haven't tried the cake...I made it yesterday, and it's in the fridge still. We haven't had the time to get it out and eat it! But the batter was AWESOME!!! I couldn't believe it myself! 

Since Travis made it in school that day, I asked if he would help me make it! So we had a sibiling-bonding-cooking-day! 


I started sprinkling baking soda on his head...he didn't notice till his whole head was white!! Hehehe! 

As you can see...I was TERRIFIED to put the tomatoes in the chocolate cake! But don't worry, nobody died from it!....yet. 

Let me know if you're brave enough to try this recipe! For you cooking wimps out there...you can always take the tomatoes out! :) 

Peace! 

2 comments:

  1. you have to let me know how the cake tastes. ive heard of putting mayo in cake (blehk) and i use applesauce in my cupcakes but never heard of tomatoes. hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ate it tonight, and everyone in my family loved it! The tomatoes gave the cake a redish color, while making it not very rich or sweet. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete