Thursday, December 22, 2011

Rediscover Yourself

Sometimes you need to sit back and just breathe. Literally put everything aside and give yourself a little time. Time is such a precious thing in this world, and I don't think we don't appreciate it enough. Because someday all of this.....everything. Everything around you. All your possessions and friends and family.....all of it.....will be gone. So while you still have time....rediscover life. 

I've especially noticed this recently during this busy Christmas Season. I was out at a small outlet mall here in Cincinnati where I was finishing getting the last few gifts for my family. People were everywhere. Cars were everywhere. Horns were honking, people were running, kids were screaming, cash registers were beeping, rain was pouring, and the isles were packed with carts. I am usually distracted with the friends or family members I shop with, but since I was shopping by myself I noticed it so much more. I noticed how incredibly face-paced this world is. It's so important to take some time to yourself and reflect. To rediscover. 

The reason for the photographs....
I finished my shopping and decided to swing by the Starbucks. My reasons? 
#1: I like coffee, duh
#2: I was tired and I wanted to sit down
#3: I had my camera with me
#4: I was enjoying the fact that the bottom of my pants were almost dry from walking in the rain, and I wasn't ready yet to go out and get them wet again.        


Rediscovering something in your own personal life is just beautiful. It's like seeing an old friend from High School. It's like finding your baby blanket after many years of being separated. It's like digging up a time capsule you buried when you were a kid.

 Rediscovering. 

The first time. 

The first time you held your newborn baby. The first time you sang a solo. When you got your drivers license as a teenager and how excited you were. Your first marathon and crossing that finish line. Anything that you remember that bought yourself a sense of accomplishment. A sense of joy. A sense of contentment. A sense of personal strength. At that one specific moment in time you felt like a rock star. You felt on top of the world. You felt like the most amazing person in the world. 

Reconnecting with that special moment is what keeps me going. Even though today might be a bad day, or even a bad week...just take some time to yourself to rediscover what makes you happy. What makes you unique. What makes you smile. What makes you into the wonderful beautiful person you are.  

  Everyone has a wonderful gift to offer to the world...you just have to rediscover it and share it whole heartily. 


Peace Out! 

3 comments:

  1. Bethany~

    I love your blog, your crazy sense of adventure and your thoughts on life in general. You make me laugh sometimes and othertimes you make me think. It's refreshing to see somebody be very real about who they are and what makes them that person. :-)

    You probably don't know me as I'm closer in age to your mom than I am to you and I live in Austin, TX so you wouldn't see me at the Bluffton AC church, but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your blog and hope you keep it up!

    Merry Christmas!
    Myra Beer (Isch)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Myra, it's wonderful to 'meet' you!! Thank you so much for your sweet words!! It really means a lot!! I really appreciate each and every visitor and reader of this blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Bethany! Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful break!

    ReplyDelete